Last Saturday, church members, the Board, the Worship Committee, and Rev. Marta met in Melrose to discuss several topics: our worship service, our covenant, and goals for this coming church year. Here are some highlights from those discussions.
- The language should be clear and easy to understand
- Avoid a covenant that is a ‘list of bullet points’
- Hire and onboard a new Music Director
- This was agreed to be an important near-term objective, as it was recognized how much music is a part of the fabric of our church.
- Would like a music director who will engage people within the church to participate in music.
- Document and update policies
- We should ensure that policies are accessible to all.
- Updating our policies will help new people to transition into roles.
- Continue to grow and increase membership
- Growth isn’t necessarily increased membership.
- We should focus more on outreach, advertising, and communication.
- Think about how to achieve greater diversity.
- Ensure we are welcoming.
- Facilitate education on what it means to have a Minister of Color
- The board and the book group will be reading ‘Centering: Navigating Race, Authenticity, and Power in Ministry‘ (one of the UUA common reads); consider having other sessions for those not in the book group to read and discuss as well.
- This should be an ongoing conversation.
- Have a balanced budget in 2018-19
- Long-term, possibly the most important goal.
- Establish a fundraising committee/schedule early in the year.
- It is important to live within our means honestly.
- Energize and engage the congregation as we embark on our first full year with Rev. Marta
- Have a structure for supporting Rev. Marta.
- Provide opportunities for people to engage with Rev. Marta beyond worship services.
- Have a common calendar with all church events on it.
- Have fun!
- Another game night?
- Fundraising can be fun.
- More community events (bingo night, Halloween party, potlucks, etc.)