UU Church of Medford
September 8, 2023
About the Unitarian Universalist Church of Medford
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Medford (UUCM) is a liberal, welcoming community that embraces and celebrates diversity. We are a casual, child-friendly congregation of approximately 100 members and friends who seek to nurture one another’s spirituality and express our shared values through worship, children’s program, community service, and social action. Performing and appreciating music of various styles and traditions is an important part of our weekly services. Our community spans a wide range of ages, musical interests and skills, and is ready to be inspired by an energetic and creative musician.
About the Position of Music Director (Part-Time)
The Music Director will lead and administer a congregation-wide music program for Sunday services. The Music Director will work closely with our Minister, Music Committee, and Worship Committee and report to the Board of Directors. Our hybrid services are often collaborative, with members contributing music, and the Music Director will support and coordinate this joint effort. This is a 20-hour-per-month position from the opening fall service after Labor Day through the third week of June.
Responsibilities of the Music Director
– With the assistance of the Music Committee, oversee the music program for all services, including advising the Minister and worship leaders on hymn choices, arranging for hymn leaders, and recruiting and supporting musicians for occasional special music.
– Provide in-person music for approximately 23 Sunday services at a rate of two to three services per month, from mid-September to mid-June, plus the Christmas Eve service.
– Recruit and provide support to volunteer choir members, and rehearse and direct the choir. Choir rehearsals take place before Sunday services when the Music Director is present, and occasionally at other times.
– Become familiar with the church’s sound and streaming equipment and provide support to volunteer audio technicians.
– Attend monthly Worship Committee meetings (currently the first Monday evening of the month) and organize and attend meetings of the Music Committee.
– Develop a budget request for expenses relating to the music program, including guest musicians, music, supplies, and piano tuning and repair
Qualifications and Abilities
We seek a Music Director with skills and experience in choral and instrumental music who will take a creative and flexible approach to enhancing the worship experience through music. With a limited financial budget, maximizing the use of the congregation’s talents and resources will be important. The ability to energize and motivate a varied church community to participate in and appreciate music from many traditions and genres will be a plus.
Hours and Compensation
This is a 20-hour-per-month position from the second week of September through the third week of June. Salary is commensurate with experience and within the range of $7000-8000, paid over 12 months from August through July. (For the 2023-2024 church year, the hours and salary will be prorated based on the start date.) There is a budget for some professional expenses, music supplies, and piano tuning.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Questions about the position or the church may be sent to the same email address.