Date(s) - October 2, 2021
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Medford is hosting an Open House on Saturday, Oct. 2 from 2-4, (rain date Oct 16). The event will celebrate the completion of the restoration of our historic 1785 parsonage, the David Osgood House at 141 High St. The beautiful Osgood House is one of the few remaining 18th-century buildings in Medford and is on both the Massachusetts and the National Historical Registers.
With a grant from the Community Preservation Act in Medford, we have been able to restore the exterior of this beautiful late Georgian house, home to many notable Medford ministers and their families, in particular important abolitionists like Lydia Maria Child, George Luther Stearns and Lucy Osgood, Rev. Osgood’s daughter. The history of this church is over 300 years long, beginning with the First Parish built in 1690. Through the years, it has evolved from the Calvinism of its founders to the politically and religiously liberal Unitarian-Universalism of today.
Please join us to gratefully celebrate this historic restoration, with a little history of the church, and a tour inside the building (with masks), refreshments, music, and thanks to all who helped in this effort. Our presentation will take place outdoors in the yard behind Osgood House, which is accessed by Powderhouse Rd., the street to the left of the building. There is a new handicap ramp in the rear to enter the building itself. Please come join us in honoring the past & looking forward to the bright future ahead.
The schedule for the event is as follows:
- 2:00-2:30: Welcome and Historical Presentation
- 2:30-4:00: Small groups of 5, with masks, will receive tours inside
Osgood House, with information about each room and its history.